- Provide hands-on assistance to rangers and staff caring for unique creatures such as kangaroos, koalas, wallabies and other Australian wildlife. Get stuck in with day-to-day life in the park, shadowing the rangers, helping them gather food and prepare meals, planting trees, ensuring the animals’ areas are kept clean and getting a behind the scenes perspective on these curious creatures.. Learn from conservation experts about the prominent issues facing these animals and the measures being taken to protect them.
- Kayak and scout for kangaroos in North Stradbroke Island. This large island is made up of beautiful sand dunes, rocky headlands and murky mangrove swamps, home to a plethora of unusual plant and animal life. Head up to Point Lookout to catch a glimpse at one of the world’s largest congregations of bottlenose dolphins.
- Hike through pristine rainforest to cascading waterfalls and serene rock pools. Spot wildlife in the rainforest canopy on a skywalk.
- Throw boomerangs, play the didgeridoo and interact with the locals at a traditional Aboriginal ceremony.
- The Gold Coast is a center of Australian food and café culture, and is a place where the modern “no worries” beach culture and the millennia-old Aboriginal culture overlap.
Please see a detailed itinerary below:
- Day 1. Arrive at Gold Coast Airport on the eastern tropical coast of Queensland. You’ll be met at the airport by your guide, who will accompany you to our coastal lodge where we’ll enjoy a delicious welcome dinner with the group.
- Day 2. Visit a koala sanctuary that cares for koalas who were suffering in the wild, primarily from various illnesses caused by bacteria found in the wild, as well as those orphaned or injured. Spend the afternoon under the Australian sun on a cruise along the Gold Coast waterways before a dinner together.
- Day 3. Meet the residents at the wildlife conservation park, where we’ll spend the next four days assisting rangers and staff on a variety of wildlife-related activities. Among the critters we’ll help care for here are wallabies, koalas, and kangaroos. In the afternoon, visit the stunning Currumbin Valley and Springbrook National Park where we’ll see majestic waterfalls and some of the oldest trees in Australia.
- Day 4. Help out at the park and meet koalas. We’ll spend this morning assisting the park’s rangers in gathering food, feeding animals and other jobs around the park. Then we’ll visit a koala conservation center to experience firsthand the work being done to care for these gentle animals. For dinner, experience a traditional aboriginal performance at a local theatre.
- Day 5. Free day to explore and enjoy the coast. Opt for a bike ride along the beaches, shop in the nearby town, relax on the sand or try your hand at some of the world’s best surfing.
- Day 6. Our final day at the park will be spent on a legacy project that includes seasonal planting and time with the animals. In the afternoon, we’ll journey into the rainforest and along a skywalk that meanders through the canopy. Afterwards, take a walk through the quaint galleries and wineries of Mt. Tamborine.
- Day 7. Enjoy a free morning and afternoon exploring all the Gold Coast has to offer. Visit “Surfer’s Paradise,” go out to sea on a catamaran, go shopping or relax at this beach town’s many restaurants. Enjoy an evening sunset BBQ together as a group.
- Day 8. Meet the Quandamooka people on North Stradbroke Island. This morning we take a ferry to North Stradbroke Island, the world’s second largest sand island. In a traditional Aboriginal welcome from the indigenous Quandamooka people, you’ll paint your own boomerang and try the didgeridoo before visiting the freshwater Myora Springs. After lunch, take an afternoon bush walk to a remote beach, spotting koalas along the way. Spend tonight in a charming seaside bungalow.
- Day 9. Explore the beauty of North Stradbroke Island. Take a walk to the island’s famous blowhole, looking out for kangaroos, dolphins and whales in the distance, before lunch at Cylinder Beach – one of the best in Queensland. Kayak the turquoise waters off Amity Point, experiencing the vibrant sea life that thrives around the island. This evening, try your hand at Australian barefoot lawn bowling.
- Day 10. We’ll say our goodbyes and transfer you to the Brisbane Airport for your flight home.
ASK US ABOUT OUR TRIP EXTENSION TO SYDNEY.