- Adopt the local surf culture and learn how to paddle out, pop up and trim across Costa Rica’s pristine waves from seasoned veterans of the surf community. Engage with the mindfulness of yoga and learn from experienced yoga practitioners.
- Your surf and yoga instructors will teach more than the basics of these soul sports. You’ll learn about surfing origins, observe a sustainability-driven lifestyle, and visit a board shaping bay. Engage in discussions on ocean conservation and the climate, and see how yoga can contribute to mindfulness in the world.
- Connect deeply with community leaders of Bahia Ballena, your beachside home, and organize a community service event for local children and citizens. Consider the role that sustainable development plays in Tico society, and spend your days leading an active mindful lifestyle through surfing and yoga, high-energy volunteering and outdoor adventure.
- Learn from community leaders and witness ongoing programs driven by local organizations providing solutions to some of the community’s challenges.
- Service will be a mixture of projects, including hands-on infrastructure building and community refurbishment, and your hosts will weave in project design and management skills throughout.
- Living and volunteering in Bahia Ballena will introduce you to the major role the ocean plays in daily life. Become a steward of marine conservation, community action and sustainability.
- Go on a whitewater rafting expedition that will allow you to fully appreciate this region’s rugged, untouched landscape.
- Practice yoga in an open-air studio, hike through the rainforest, and explore Marino Ballena National Park – established to conserve the rich marine ecosystems that are found inside the park boundaries.
- Learn about project design and management from a local team
- Contribute 20 hours of community service.
- Student/Staff Ratio: 6 to 1.
A typical Form and Flavors Experience:
- Home Base is a small ecolodge in Bahia Ballena, surrounded by lush gardens.
- Students stay in gender-segregated rooms with fans and bathrooms with cold water showers.
- Meals will be hearty and healthy, consisting mostly of Costa Rican staples: rice and beans, meat, vegetables and lots of tropical fruit.