- Go dolphin-spotting in the Adriatic Sea with staff from a leading dolphin conservation organization. Much of the work done by the Blue World Institute of Marine Research and Conservation centers on larger vertebrates, including dolphins, whales, sea turtles, rays and sharks. There’s no better place to learn about the day-to-day processes involved in conservation, and to discover the captivating behaviors of these creatures by tracking them in the wild.
- Travelers will go behind-the-scenes and aid in these dolphin monitoring expeditions with the The Blue World Institute collecting data on environmental conditions, locations and sightings, numbers of encountered dolphins, photographs of dorsal fins for photo-ID analysis, and data about dolphin behavior. In addition to collecting this data, get a taste of life as a marine biologist and learn how to read the information you collected and why it is important for the well-being of the dolphins.
- Visit the Stari Grad Plains, a UNESCO World Heritage Site where hiking trails wind through breathtaking scenery.
- Hike through the the Island of Hvar
- Bask in the crystal-clear waters and majestic blue light of the Blue Cave. Venture into this sea cave at just the right time of day and you’ll be bathed in an otherworldly blue light. A swimming trip in this magical environment is an unforgettable experience in itself, but the beauty of the surrounding islands, the pristine pebble beaches, and rich forests adds another dimension to a trip here.
- Get creative with a three-course Croatian cooking class with a local chef
- Kayak alongside charming Hvar Island to the Pakleni Islands
Please see a detailed itinerary below:
- Day 1. Arrive at Zagreb International Airport in the Croatian capital Zagreb. Enjoy a gorgeous five-hour drive to the coastline before catching a ferry to the island of Lošinj. On Lošinj, unwind over a delicious welcome dinner.
- Day 2. Track dolphins with the Blue World Institute. On the morning of our first day of volunteering with the Blue World Institute, we’ll meet the expert team and learn about the fundamentals of dolphin biology and conservation. Then it’s time to head out into the Adriatic Sea on a dolphin-tracking, data-collecting boat trip. After lunch, a photo-identification workshop offers more insight into dolphin conservation.
- Day 3. Expand your Marine Conservation knowledge and explore the Blue Cave. Today will be split into two distinct parts. We’ll begin by hopping on a boat to explore the incredible Blue Cave. In the afternoon, return to the Blue World Institute for another interactive conservation learning session, this time focused on biodiversity and sea turtles.
- Day 4. Final dolphin-tracking trip and explore Veli Lošinj. You’ll spend your last morning at the Blue World Institute putting your newly gained marine biology knowledge to good use on one final dolphin-tracking trip on the water. Afterwards, you’ll have free time to explore the postcard-perfect village of Veli Lošinj and its lovely beach at your own pace.
- Day 5. Marvel at the natural splendor of Croatia en route to Hvar. Today will be spent passing through some of Croatia’s most striking landscapes as we make our way to the island of Hvar. Keep your camera on hand to capture the sweeping sea and land panoramas along the way as we travel by catamaran, van and boat.
- Day 6. Learn to cook the Croatian way and hike the Stari Grad Plains. Wake up in the historic village of Stari Grad, our base for the next two days. After breakfast, we’ll head to the neighboring village of Vrisnik for a lesson in traditional Croatian cooking. Our optional hike back to the hotel will lead through the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Stari Grad Plains.
- Day 7. Go kayaking and sample local wine. After breakfast, venture out on a kayaking excursion through the turquoise waters of the Pakleni Islands before the choice to either tour two local wineries, or take a free afternoon to lounge by the hotel pool or explore the village.
- Day 8. Return to Split International Airport for your flight home.
ASK US ABOUT OUR TRIP EXTENSION TO DUBROVNIK.