- Engage with the vibrant community of artists, musicians and local children and adults who call Muraleando a second home. Muraleando is a hub for creativity and a place for the community to come together to learn art, music and dance. The goal of the project is to not only improve the aesthetics of Lawton through inspiring artwork and murals, but improve community cohesion and provide a creative outlet for the area’s residents by repairing the nearby soccer fields, playing sports together as well as a range of other meaningful activities.
- Explore Havana’s eclectic mix of architectural styles, art, music and dance. Explore the cobblestone streets and iconic plazas of the Cuban capital’s historic district on a walking tour. Stroll along the Malecón, the city’s seaside promenade and enjoy views of the imposing Castillo del Morro, a castle named for the biblical Magi.
- Take an overnight journey to the colonial towns of Trinidad and Cienfuegos. Trinidad has earned UNESCO World Heritage status for its beautifully preserved Spanish colonial architecture. Its narrow streets are a maze of pastel-colored 19th-century buildings, which serve as a perfect freeze-frame of the town’s sugarcane prosperity. Highlights include the Museó Historico Municipal, a grand mansion housing exhibits which tell the story of Trinidad’s history, and Plaza Mayor, the town’s main square and a peaceful and photogenic spot.
- Learn to salsa with the local community and a Cuban dance instructor.
- Visit Ernest Hemingway House allowing for a unique insight into the life of a literary heavyweight.
Please see a detailed itinerary below:
- Day 1. Arriving in Havana, we’ll hit the ground running with an exploration of the city’s colonial plazas and famous seaside boardwalk, the Malecón. Afterwards, head over to the nearby neighborhood of Lawton to meet with the folks at Muraleando, the community art program. We’ll meet some of the children and artists involved, and enjoy dinner with the local community tonight.
- Day 2. Create artworks and take a Salsa Class. Jump right into the project, which aims to improve the aesthetics of Lawton through inspiring artwork and murals, but also improve community cohesion and provide a creative outlet for youth and adults alike. Our activities will include anything from assisting around the center in painting and creating ceramics to printmaking and salsa dancing classes. We’ll have dinner together in the evening with the staff at Muraleando.
- Day 3. Hit the road to Cienfuegos, visiting the historic site of the Bay of Pigs invasion along the way. This French colonial town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its beauty and architecture. Enjoy lunch in the city followed by a guided tour along the wide boulevards and seafront promenade, before a private performance from a traditional Cienfuegos guitar ensemble. Enjoy free time in the city followed by a dinner in town.
- Day 4. An expert local guide will reveal the secrets of Trinidad, another UNESCO World Heritage Site. Explore the colorful alleyways, lined with Spanish architecture, where the clip-clop of horses’ hooves is still a familiar sound. After lunch on the leafy outdoor patio of a local paladar, return to Cienfuegos for a relaxing evening in town.
- Day 5. Make the return drive back to Havana in the morning. After lunch in the city, enjoy free time to explore the markets of Havana. Return to Lawton later in the late afternoon for dinner back at Muraleando and enjoy a special musical performance from a local band.
- Day 6. Visit Hemingway’s House in Cojimar. Spend the morning continuing our project with the community. The goal of these projects is to not only lend a hand in the community, but to also better understand Cuban society and culture. In the afternoon, we’ll head over to the home of one of Cuba’s most famous residents – Ernest Hemingway. Enjoy a tour of Hemingway’s expansive property in the town of Cojimar and see firsthand the area that inspired some of his most famous novels.
- Day 7. On our final full day in Havana we will continue our projects alongside the children of Lawton, using everything at our disposal to create art, including old tires and other recycled materials. Saying goodbye to the kids, we’ll then head into Old Havana and take a tour of the cobblestone streets and plazas of the city. Enjoy free time to explore cafés and shops before relaxing at one of Havana’s classic paladars. We’ll then savor a farewell dinner together, reflecting on the memories of the past week.
- Day 8. After enjoying breakfast together, we’ll say our goodbyes and transfer you back to the airport, for your flight home.