- Learn new scuba diving skills by taking your PADI Advanced and PADI Coral Reef Research Diver courses.
- Conduct underwater surveys in the warm, turquoise waters of the Pacific. Discover a myriad of fascinating marine creatures to study.
- Enjoy island hopping to remote locations, snorkelling, white beaches, climbing volcanic mountains and breathtaking scenery.
- Enjoy a cultural immersion in the Fijian way of life. Get to know the local community, traditional ceremonies in idyllic traditional Fijian villages and learn to speak Fijian.
- Teach children about environmental conservation during weekly school visits.
- Assist in the creation of coral farms.
A typical Advanced PADI and Marine Conservation Experience:
- You will first complete a training phase where you will learn to accurately identify locally targeted fish, invertebrate or coral species. Training will involve snorkel and dive point outs, as well as learning benthic, fish, coral and invertebrate species.
- Once fully trained in species ID, Explorers will be taught several survey techniques allowing them to become a member of the data collection survey team building an inventory of marine species in Moturiki waters.
- Depending on the weather conditions we aim for everyone to have 1 or 2 dives/snorkels from Monday to Friday.
- You will have the chance to assist in the delivering of lessons focused on environmental awareness in two schools on Moturiki Island.
- You should also expect to be involved in additional projects and activities, including training sessions, marine debris surveys and removal, environmental education session or alternative income training. This is dependent on the locals and the project needs. You will also be required to complete base duties.
- Weekends are usually yours to rest up and relax, or perhaps even explore some of the surrounding area.
- You will stay on GVI’s Caqalai Island base in basic dormitory accommodation with your fellow volunteers with a communal kitchen, living and work area.
NB: It is compulsory for Explorers attending this Experience to have their PADI Open Water certification. For non-divers wishing to attend, we can recommend local dive centers that will help you qualify before your intended start date.