- Discover the fascinating continent of Asia and immerse yourself in a different way of life. Kerala is famed for its tropical greenery, beautiful backwaters and rich culture.
- Make a genuine contribution towards the development of a local community.
- Support the local henna artist and immerse yourself in the Indian culture.
- Work alongside workmen and laborer’s from the community to deliver basic needs such as improved sanitation, construction of new houses or classroom renovations.
- You will be assisted by local community members and guided by the leadership and expertise of local masons.
- Discover India’s ornate temples, breathtaking landscapes and vibrant cities during your time off.
A typical Community Construction Experience:
- On arrival, volunteers will be given an orientation around the beautiful city of Kochi.
- Training will then be given and you will work with local masons and other locals who can guide you.
- Your living arrangements will be in a shared house in the heart of the local community of Fort Kochi, where you can experience the rich culture of India.
- Monday to Friday. Depending on the needs on the ground, you will help deliver basic needs such as construction of new houses or improvements on current slum dwellings, classroom renovations, improving and painting educational facilities, improving sanitation through building eco toilets, eco gardens and repairing or refurbishing orphanages. Help make schools more comfortable and conducive to a positive learning environment. You may brighten up classrooms with new coats of paint or lend an extra hand in helping to reconstruct, build or rebuild a school’s facilities.
- The project can be physically demanding, especially when you consider the weather which can be a little unpredictable, which you should be prepared for.
- You will live in a dormitory-style room in a clean, comfortable house with running water, electricity and flushing toilets. After a long day out work, you will build up quite an appetite, a good opportunity to sample the variety of traditional Indian meals.
NB: No previous experience is required for this project. Our staff will be working along side you and you’ll have access to the skills and experience of locals who will guide you.