- Volunteer on community development projects in rural areas. Peru has many areas of need and poverty and economic development issues are common. As you work to combat these issues, you’ll see that Peru is more than its wild landscapes and ancient arts. The generosity and lively culture of its people are like no other.
- You’ll focus on empowering Peruvian women who work in weaving co-ops creating Andean textiles and fabrics. Your volunteer projects will also include building new infrastructure to support community development and working on economic initiatives for women. Contribute to the wellbeing of rural communities as you deliver meaningful and sustainable change, as well as new opportunities to make a living.
- Learn firsthand about Peru’s rich culture that descends from the Incan empire through Andean music and dance workshops, a visit to the local llama and alpaca farm, conversation with a traditional shaman and afternoons among local artisans at the bustling market.
- Play soccer with local youth and engage in discussion with nonprofit organizations to deepen your understanding of Peru’s contemporary culture.
- The Sacred Valley surrounding Cuzco is full of incredible topography and archaeological marvels. Go on an epic train ride, visit key archaeological sites of the Inca Empire, tour famous ruins, explore the city of Cuzco, and hike to Machu Picchu. Your multi-day trek passes through awe-inspiring valleys, and you’ll wake up from camp to staggering snow-capped peaks at 10,000 feet of elevation.
- Participate in a traditional music workshop, browse the colorful craft markets, and go on a whitewater rafting adventure.
- Contribute 30 hours of community service.
- Student/Staff Ratio: 6 to 1.
A typical Service in the Sacred Valley Experience:
- Home Base is a locally-owned property in the Sacred Valley.
- Students stay in gender-segregated rooms and have access to shared bathrooms.
- During weekend hiking excursions, students camp in tents which are provided by our team.