- Experience life in the Pongola Game reserve, learn about conservation, go on game drives to observe animals, learn modern methods of sustainably preserving the region’s endangered species and assist with ongoing rhino and African elephant conservation projects.
- Join professional conservationists in the field and assist with habitat restoration efforts. Learn to spot fresh prints, identify wildlife tracks and protect South Africa’s most majestic wild animals.
- Eradicate an invasive plant species, learn about anti-poaching, undertake a snare patrol to identify leopards, and learn from passionate wildlife protectors about their personal experiences fighting poachers.
- Track the movements of elephants and other wildlife by satellite, and learn how rangers set camera traps—join them in combing through video footage to spot camouflaged leopards and other threatened species.
- Discover the biodiversity within the bush ecosystem and appreciate animals from the impressive Big Five wild animals – the African lion, African leopard, African elephant, Cape buffalo and rhino.
- Live at a rustic Home Base on the reserve, hearing Zulu stories and learning about tribal culture. Go on a true bush safari, enjoy a bonfire and camp under the stars.
- Visit the beaches on a multi-night excursion to Kosi Bay along the country’s northern coast.
- Snorkel in the warm waters of Kosi Bay in the Indian Ocean, and learn about the region’s diverse coastal environments.
- Visit a local community to learn about Zulu culture and the role the community plays in conservation. During your community visit, enjoy tea with and hear stories from a Gogo (Grandmother in Zulu).
Contribute 32 hours of community service.
Student/Staff Ratio: 6 to 1.
A typical Safari Service Expedition Experience:
- On this safari adventure, students will lodge in several locations. Upon arrival in Johannesburg, the group will stay in a guest lodge.
- For the remainder of the program, Home Base accommodations include wooden cabins, canvas cottages, and a safari camp, which is outside under the stars.
- Students will share accommodations with roommates and have access to bathrooms, and enjoy communal meals as a group.