- Enjoy life in one of the world’s most beautiful cities and make a serious contribution to impactful and sustainable children education initiatives.
- Teach primary school children at an oversubscribed and under-resourced school in a friendly and welcoming township just outside of the city.
- Dedicated one-on-one sessions focused on giving certain students extra attention to help bring them up to required standards.
- Live in an attractive coastal village close to Cape Town, with direct exposure to local culture and communities.
- Explore Cape Town and revel in all its natural beauty and visit iconic landmarks. Take trips to Robben Island, Table Mountain, Cape Point, wildlife safaris and wine tasting.
A typical Community Construction Experience:
- Upon your arrival, you will receive an introductory orientation by the staff covering classroom management, lesson planning, curriculum, a local language lesson, township life and other useful information.
- Monday to Friday you will travel by minibus to the township school where you will work from 9am-4pm, with an hour’s break for lunch. Usually in the morning you will teach individual students and in the afternoon you will conduct small homework and reading workshops. You may also play sports, run art projects and assist with basic childcare for younger children. After school you may spend time preparing your lessons for the next day.
- After working with each child, not only may you see a measurable improvement in their abilities, the children should also be more confident and comfortable once they return to their classrooms.
- Weekends are your time to explore the beautiful country. With a myriad of activities to choose from such as shark cave diving, hiking through the Silvermine Nature Reserve, Table Mountain and wine tasting. You will be spoilt for choice with immersing yourself in the culture, natural beauty and local wildlife.
- For those travelling onwards there is easy access to the Garden Route and cheap domestic flights to Kruger National park from Cape Town.