- Enjoy life in one of the world’s most beautiful cities and make a serious contribution to impactful and sustainable women’s empowerment initiatives.
- Help break the cycle of poverty by ensuring women in townships and rural communities have access to equal education, health care and income opportunities.
- Immerse yourself into a fascinating culture and experience South Africa through the eyes of the locals.
- Explore Cape Town and revel in all its natural beauty and visit iconic landmarks like Table Mountain and Cape Point.
- All your time and effort will be geared towards uplifting the women of South Africa and providing long-term solutions to gender imbalance and discrimination.
A typical Community Construction Experience:
- Upon your arrival, you will receive an introductory orientation by the staff covering health and safety, a basic local language lesson, a tour of the township, an introduction to our local partners and some initial training to prepare you as much as possible for life in the community.
- Monday to Friday you will be involved in numerous facets of our women’s empowerment programme. This depends on the needs of the projects at that given time.
- Work with girls in the local community. Provide one-on-one educational lessons with girls in local township schools regarding health and hygiene, team building, communication, gender equality, emotional intelligence and more.
- Work with women in the local community. The majority of these workshops are focused on computer and sewing skills. However, there are opportunities to deliver workshops in CV writing, alternative income, budgeting, healthcare, first aid presentation skills and any other skill set which the women are interested in.
- By supporting women in society and giving them access to equal opportunities such as an education, jobs and health care, everyone benefits. Infant mortality rates go down, more children stay in school, incomes increase and the cycle of poverty can be broken.
- We also facilitate and encourage dialogues between empowered women, helping them to share positive stories of change and increasing the opportunity for them to become more involved in key community issues.
- Weekends are your time to explore the beautiful country. With a myriad of activities to choose from such as shark cave diving, hiking through the Silvermine Nature Reserve, Table Mountain and wine tasting. You will be spoilt for choice with immersing yourself in the culture, natural beauty and local wildlife.
- You will share accommodation in houses with your fellow Explorers. Rooms are generally shared between 2 -3 people, with access to hot running water, electricity and western style bathrooms. The accommodation is located in safe and secure communities with plenty of amenities nearby.