- The northern capital of Chiang Mai preserves the atmosphere of an ancient city and is still known for its beautiful temples and rugged natural landscape.
- Volunteer at a school teaching English to local youth through classroom time, tutoring, arts, crafts and sports. Develop meaningful relationships with your students and serve not only as their teacher, but also a role model, mentor and friend.
- Northern Thailand’s rugged geography is a playground for outdoor pursuits. Zipline through the cool, leafy treetops, hike to a beautiful waterfall and go on a whitewater rafting adventure through the beautiful mountains of northern Thailand.
- Experience the wide diversity of Thai culture. Explore elegant wats (Buddhist temples) and speak with monks about their lifestyle and spiritual worldview. Gather fresh ingredients at a market for a Thai cooking class, learn the traditional arts of dance, Muay Thai boxing and get an authentic Thai massage.
- Sample fabulous cuisine, shop at bustling markets and visit the famous Chiang Mai night bazaar.
- Interact with and learn about elephants at a local Elephant Jungle Sanctuary, which is dedicated to ethical treatment and providing healthy environments for elephants. You’ll spend an unforgettable day learning about the challenges these animals face and their significance in Thai culture.
- On the 21-day Experience, you’ll also volunteer on various physical projects that support Thailand’s ethnic minorities, the Northern hill tribes. Accelerate refurbishment efforts to shelters and infrastructure for these displaced families who have historically been marginalized.
- Contribute 30 hours of community service.
- Student/Staff Ratio: 6 to 1.
A typical Teaching Children and Beyond Experience:
- We will be staying in two Home Bases, both of which are small resorts on the outskirts of Chiang Mai.
- Accommodations are well-appointed, clean and safe.
- Students sleep in gender-segregated rooms with roommates, and have access to a pool and bathrooms with hot-water showers.