- Hanoi – Ba Dinh Square, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Ho Chi Minh’s house-on-stilts, One Pillar Pagoda and the Museum of Ethnology.
- Cao Son – Market and Flower Hmong village.
- Sapa – Lao Chai village of the Black Hmong, Tan Van village of the Dzay and Giang Ta Chai & Ta Phin villages of the Red Dao.
- Red River Delta – Hoa Lu, cycle to Tam Coc and cave system of Trang An.
- Chay River – Boat ride and Trung Do village.
- Sunday Day 1 – Hanoi. Upon arrival, you will be met and transferred to your hotel. Overnight in Hanoi.
- Monday Day 2 – Day Trip to Ninh Binh. This morning we transfer to Ninh Binh where we visit Hoa Lu, the erstwhile capital of Vietnam in the 10th and 11th centuries, home to palaces, pagodas, tombs and pavilions. From here we cycle to Tam Coc, passing through rice paddy fields and beautiful landscapes en route, and stopping for lunch upon arrival at a local restaurant. This afternoon we drive to Trang An, where we’ll take a boat through a remarkable cave system. Returning to Hanoi we’ll embark on a walking tour of the city. Overnight in Hanoi. Breakfast and Lunch included.
- Tuesday Day 3 – Hanoi City Tour. Today we start with a visit to the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, followed by a stop at Ho Chi Minh’s house-on-stilts and the nearby One Pillar Pagoda. Next up is a visit to the Museum of Ethnology, which provides an excellent overview of the country’s ethnic groups, their customs and ways of life. After time to freshen up we take the overnight train to Lao Cai (soft sleeper). Overnight in sleeper train. Breakfast included.
- Wednesday Day 4 – Cao Son Market and Chay River. Early this morning we arrive into Lao Cai, a province in mountainous northern Vietnam. After enjoying breakfast in a local restaurant, we drive uphill through the Muong Khuong district onto Cao Son commune, passing terraced rice paddies, tea farms and pine plantations along the way. At Cao Son local market, we browse the wares on offer. Leaving the market, we take a short walk to Flower Hmong village before a break for lunch. The road then takes us along the Chay River through mountains, valleys and hamlets before we arrive at the Coc Ly Bridge. Boarding a local boat, we cruise along the Chay River to Trung Do village before continuing onto Sapa. Overnight in Sapa. Breakfast and Lunch included.
- Thursday Day 5 – Northern Hill Tribes. On day 5 we meet the ethnic hill tribes of northern Vietnam with a visit to the Black Hmong minority village and Dzay hill tribe. After our picnic lunch, we walk through the bamboo forest to Giang Ta Chai, a Red Dao minority village and take a break at the waterfall. Overnight in Sapa. Breakfast included.
- Friday Day 6 – Northern Hill Tribes. On the morning of day 6 we enjoy a trek through the scenic Ma Tra Valley, with views of verdant terraced rice paddies on steep hillsides, to the Ta Phin Village of the Red Dao group. Returning to Sapa there’s free time before taking the overnight train back to Hanoi (soft sleeper). Overnight on sleeper train. Breakfast and Lunch included.
- Saturday Day 7 – Hanoi. Arriving into Hanoi we visit the Quang Ba Flower Market and Truc Bach Lake before breakfast at a local restaurant. From here you’ll be taken to the start hotel of your next tour booked with us, or to await your departure transfer to the airport. If departing Vietnam today, please ensure that you book a flight departing Hanoi after 12 noon. Breakfast included.